HARRISBURG, Pa. – Today the Pennsylvania chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, part of Everytown for Gun Safety, released the following statement praising Gov. Tom Wolf for signing HB 2060 into law. HB 2060, sponsored by Sen. Tom Killion and Rep. Marguerite Quinn, will protect survivors of domestic abuse by prohibiting all abusers who are subject to final protection from abuse orders from possessing guns and requiring them to turn in their guns while the order is in effect.
STATEMENT FROM DEB MARTESLO, VOLUNTEER LEADER WITH THE PENNSYLVANIA CHAPTER OF MOMS DEMAND ACTION FOR GUN SENSE IN AMERICA:
“Today’s bill signing is a momentous occasion and a huge step forward for gun safety in Pennsylvania. We could not be more proud of our lawmakers and Gov. Wolf for protecting domestic violence survivors, their loved ones and all Pennsylvania families. This new law will help save lives.”
STATEMENT FROM JOHN FEINBLATT, PRESIDENT OF EVERYTOWN FOR GUN SAFETY:
“Kudos to all of the Moms Demand Action volunteers who spoke up for the survivors of domestic violence — and kudos to Governor Wolf for stepping up and taking action to keep guns away from abusers. Common-sense gun laws like HB 2060 aren’t a matter of right-or-left — they’re a matter of life-or-death for the millions of American women who have been threatened with a gun by an intimate partner.”
The bill includes other protections to ensure that abusers convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence, who are already prohibited from having guns under Pennsylvania law and required to transfer them after their conviction, transfer their firearms quickly and securely. With today’s signing there are now 12 states that have passed legislation to keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers in 2018.
This legislative session, the Pennsylvania chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America supported community leaders, lawmakers and law enforcement officials in their successful effort to pass this legislation by:
- Delivering an open letter to lawmakers in the House of Representatives signed by over 7,600 Pennsylvanians urging lawmakers to take immediate action to pass this lifesaving domestic violence legislation.
- Driving tens of thousands of calls and digital messages to lawmakers urging them to support HB 2060.
- Hosting five press conferences, throughout the week of September 5th, with state legislators of both parties, local law enforcement and concerned citizens to demand that Pennsylvania lawmakers pass HB 2060.
- Hosting a “Protect Pennsylvania Families” rally with community leaders and lawmakers on September 24th, the day the legislature was back in session, to urge the General Assembly to quickly pass this lifesaving legislation.
- Launching an effort to engage the public and hold lawmakers accountable that included six billboards across the state, with airplane banners that flew over western and central Pennsylvania on Labor Day – all urging action to protect families from domestic abusers armed with guns.
- Publishing a video featuring Moms Demand Action volunteers highlighting some of the most powerful reasons why Pennsylvanians support the legislation and urging lawmakers to pass this bill quickly.
- Releasing a list of “78 Reasons We Can’t Wait” to pass HB 2060. The list features 78 personal testimonials from Pennsylvanians across the state – one testimonial for each of the 78 Pennsylvanians who were shot and killed last year in domestic-violence-related incidents.